Monday, May 11, 2009

Films I Watched

Since I haven't written much in this blog yet, I thought I'd just rant for a few. I'm sitting here in the tape room doing absolutely nothing. This job has been really cool so far but there is WAY too much down time. Yesterday I was able to watch three movies at work. I watched Diabolique, a 1950's Henri-Georges Clouzot film about a husband and wife that work at a school and the love triangle that exists between the husband and another teacher.

Things go crazy when the two women plot to kill the husband and it takes some really interesting turns in the story. I won't write anymore on this film because I don't want to ruin anything but I would definitely recommend it. I loved it, and I am more and more amazed by French cinema. I already blogged on El Topo which was the second film that I watched. Third, I watched the original Star Trek.


This movie was not as interesting or good as I had remembered, and I really did not remember it very well. Most of the reviews written on the movie call it the "Motionless" picture and I can see why. At the same time, seeing the new Star Trek got me fired up to watch all the old ones so I'm excited about continuing to watch the rest. And next up is the most highly reviewed out of them all: The Wrath of Khan. As for the original, there were some interesting conversations between Kirk and Spock about the nature of completely logical machines vs human emotion. Spock's character was the best part of the film for me, and the character of Decker surprisingly enough is the Dad on Seventh Heaven, which I did not realize so I thought that was funny for most of the film. I watched the newly remastered version so I'm not sure how much of the effects were added later, but I have to say the best part of the film was the effects. The story took too long to develop and there were times where we watched the Enterprise slowly move through space for 5 minutes at a time. And nothing really ever happens. I kept waiting for some crazy explanation but the revelation wasn't all that exciting. Overall, very disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment