Saturday, May 9, 2009

David Lynch Interview and Robert Blake Scene from Lost Highway

I particularly like this interview with Lynch because he explains some of the basics behind the interpretation of abstraction in film. It is always nice to hear a filmmaker like him describe the difference between concrete films and abstraction. Surrealism, metaphysics, dreams, reality, self consciousness, and of course nightmares....these are all themes that exist in Lynch's cinema and are what got me hooked in the first place. Even after watching many other different types of film I still look back at my first experience with David Lynch, Blue Velvet, and will never forget the impact that it made on me. It was a visceral experience that is hard to explain and is different from being moved by a film. That's not to say I've never been moved by one of his films, the scene in Mulholland Drive at Club Silencio moved me. But, he opens doors that in some cases should not be opened, he shows the dark side of things, the underbelly of society. And what makes his films so great to me is the juxtaposition of the dark underbelly and the cheesy, almost laughable surface of his films. He contrasts light and dark through his use of sound and images.

1 comment: